Enjoy a peace of mind when you prepare your home for fall and winter. Proper maintenance will also help you sell with confidence in its condition in the future. A well-maintained home can receive cleaner offers, faster closings, and top dollar.
Refer to the checklist below as you get ready for the upcoming season!
1. Clear gutters of leaves, sticks, and other debris. Be sure water is not coming down behind gutters and that all support brackets are secure. Ensure that water drains properly and doesn’t pool.
2. Inspect and repair any loose or damaged windows or door frames, and caulk around exterior door and window frames for a tight seal. Look for gaps where pipes or wiring enter the home and seal those as well to protect from water, insects, and mice.
3. Check the roof for missing or damaged shingles. Water, wind, ice, and snow can cause serious damage to a vulnerable roof, leading to a greater chance of further damage inside the home.
4. Have the furnace inspected to ensure that it’s safe and working optimally. Most utility companies will provide basic, no-cost furnace inspections to their customers. Replace disposable furnace air filters or clean the permanent type according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
5. If you have a chimney & fireplace, call a professional to inspect for safety and clean your chimney. Test your fireplace flue for a tight seal when closed.
6. Ensure that pipes are well insulated to prevent freezing and bursting; know how to locate and turn off the water valve incase pipes do freeze.
7. Although grass appears to stop growing in the fall, the roots are actually growing deeper to prepare for winter. Now is the best time to fertilize and reseed your lawn. Prune your trees and shrubs after the leaves turn to encourage healthy growth. Trim any tree limbs that are dangerously close to power lines or the roof of your house.
If you need any recommendations or referrals for these services, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be happy to connect you with a trusted, local professional.
About Chart House Realtors
Chart House Realtors combines the best aspects of size and scale. We are a small boutique firm with 8 full-time, local members. We operate out of our office in Barrington, RI conducting business throughout RI and MA. We are also affiliated with Keller Williams, which is the largest real estate brand in the world, with more agents, more sales and more reach than any other real estate company. So, our clients get the best of both worlds!
Our small, local size gives us the ability to craft a unique personalized plan for each and every client. At the same time, the size and scale of Keller Williams allows us to reach buyers and sellers on a national and international level. Year-to-date, Chart House is ranked among the top 1% in sales across all agents in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
If you are considering buying or selling property anywhere in Southern New England, we would love to hear from you.